The Nigerian Army has stepped up security operations in Kebbe Local Government Area of Sokoto State following renewed threats allegedly linked to the Lakurawa terrorist group and reports of a fresh attack on Ungushi community.

The General Officer Commanding 8 Division, Major General Bemgba Koughna, visited the area on Sunday to assess the security situation and inspect the Forward Operating Base in Kebbe. The visit was disclosed by the Acting Deputy Director, Army Public Relations, 8 Division and Sector 2, Operation FANSAN YAMMA, Lt. Col. Olaniyi Osoba.

The assessment came amid growing concerns along the Sokoto-Kebbi border, where residents of some communities have reportedly fled following attacks and livestock rustling. Koughna visited affected communities, met with residents and local leaders and listened to concerns about the security situation.

The Army chief said the military had adjusted its security architecture to prevent terrorist infiltration and protect communities considered vulnerable to attack. He assured residents that troops remained deployed and ready to respond to emerging threats.

“Troops remain fully deployed, highly alert and operationally focused on protecting lives and property,” Koughna said. He added that measures had been introduced to ensure threats were identified and contained before they could escalate.

Koughna warned that terrorist elements would not be allowed to establish safe havens in Kebbe or surrounding communities. He also urged residents to remain calm and continue their lawful activities, assuring them that security forces were working to restore confidence in affected areas.

The GOC stressed that cooperation from residents would be critical to the military’s efforts. He urged community leaders to provide timely and credible information about suspicious movements, unfamiliar persons and other activities that could threaten security.

He said intelligence-sharing between communities and security agencies was essential to disrupting terrorist networks and preventing attacks. The Army also reaffirmed its commitment to protecting lives, property and critical infrastructure in Kebbe and other vulnerable communities within its operational area.