In the early hours of Friday morning joint security services say they rescued two people who were abducted during an attack on a US convoy in the south-eastern Nigerian state of Anambra on Tuesday.
They are thought to be physically unharmed.
The police spokesman Ikenga Tochukwu did not give the identities of those who have been rescued, but did say that “operations are still ongoing and further details shall be communicated”.
Seven people died in the attack, with Washington saying no US citizens were in the convoy, which was travelling in the state plagued by violence and a separatist insurgency.
Previously Police in Anambra state say they have arrested two suspects who they believe are linked to Tuesday’s attack on a US convoy.
A total number of seven people were killed in the attack, according to preliminary investigations by the police.
Of the seven, three were US consulate officials and four were police escorts.
No US citizen was killed but two of the US consulate officials in the convoy are still missing. The police said they were taken away by the gunmen.
Anambra state police commissioner Echeng Echeng blamed the attack on suspected members of the Eastern Security Network (ESN), the armed wing of the separatist group, the Indigenous People of Biafra (Ipob).
Mr Echeng did not provide any evidence to back up his claim that the separatists were responsible for the attack.
US Secretary of State Antony Blinken, who condemned the attack on Wednesday, said the attack was carried out on personnel who were visiting a US-funded flood response project in the south-eastern Nigerian state.
Nigeria’s President Muhammadu Buhari also condemned the attack.
He said his government was committed to the safety of lives of the people and pledged that those behind the attack would be punished.