Home News Gov Ganduje reacts as 20 feared dead in Kano boat mishap

Gov Ganduje reacts as 20 feared dead in Kano boat mishap

by OtownGist

Gov. Abdullahi Ganduje of Kano State has expressed shock over the Tuesday evening Bagwai boat mishap that led to the death of 20 persons.

Ganduje spoke through his Chief Press Secretary, Mr. Abba Anwar, in a statement issued on Wednesday in Kano.

“Bagwai boat mishap, which so far caused the death of 20 people, as rescue operation still on, is a state tragedy.

“We learned that the boat started from Hayin Badau to Bagwai on their way to attend Maulud celebration.

HAVE YOU READ?:  Party Structure: Okorocha, Araraume Lose Out, As APC Ratifies Ward Congress In Imo

“The boat was ferrying about 50 people with some loads, it capsized because of overloading. Most of the passengers were Islamiyyah students,” he said.

The Governor prayed to God to forgive the deceased sins, also quick recovery of the rescued who are receiving medical attention.

“I urge boat operators to always take the issue of overloading very seriously. They should know that they can still get profit without overloading their boats,” he said.

HAVE YOU READ?:  Nigeria, others adopt Paris climate change agreement guidelines

Ganduje said it was unfortunate that a similar incident was recorded some years ago on the same axis.

“People should know that the lives of their fellow human beings are too important to be risked deliberately.

“Based on the information we received this morning, there are 20 deaths. Seven persons have been admitted to hospital and another eight others were found this morning. The rescue operation is still going on.

“We salute the courage and patriot posture of the rescue teams,” he said.

Leave a Comment

* By using this form you agree with the storage and handling of your data by this website.

Related Articles