U.S., UN disagree over fate of migrants

0

The United States and United Nations have disagreed on the fate of over 7,000 Central-American refugees on the marching through Mexico and towards the southern border of U.S.

The U.S. Department of State had said that consistent with U.S. law, “the United States will not allow illegal immigrants to enter or remain in the United States”.

Advertisements
Advertisements

However, the UN said the refugees coming to the U.S. were “in search of safety and work, all countries involved are being urged by the UN to liaise with key agencies on the ground providing support”.

President Donald Trump called for stiffer measures to prevent their entry into the U.S., UN, on the other hand, has asked for their rights to be protected.

Advertisements
ALSO READ:  I WILL GIVE WOMEN PRIDE OF PLACE IF ELECTED - MADUMERE

Trump had expressed sadness on Monday saying it looks like Mexico’s Police and Military are unable to stop the Caravan heading to the Southern Border of the United States.

The U.S. president threatened to cut off foreign aid to Honduras, Guatemala and El Salvador should the caravan of people fleeing their homeland, attempt to cross into the U.S. illegally.

He tweeted: “Criminals and unknown Middle Easterners are mixed in. I have alerted Border Patrol and Military that this is a National Emergency. Must change laws!

Advertisements

“Every time you see a Caravan, or people illegally coming, or attempting to come, into our Country illegally, think of and blame the Democrats for not giving us the votes to change our pathetic Immigration Laws!

ALSO READ:  Hoodlums set fire on Imo Magistrate court

“Remember the Midterms! So unfair to those who come in legally.

“Guatemala, Honduras and El Salvador were not able to do the job of stopping people from leaving their country and coming illegally to the U.S.

“We will now begin cutting off, or substantially reducing, the massive foreign aid routinely given to them”.

Advertisements

The U.S. described the journey as dangerous, expressing concerns that these migrants may be victimised by human smugglers or others who would exploit them.

“We also are deeply concerned by the violence provoked by some members of the group, as well as the apparent political motivation of some organisers of the caravan,” the U.S. said.

ALSO READ:  Church leaders move against Imo ranching bill

UN Secretary-General Deputy Spokesperson, Stephane Dujarric, said that the International Organisation for Migration and the UN High Commission for Refugees, had been boosting resources on the ground for the caravan.

Advertisements

UN Scribe Antonio Guterres, however, urged all parties to abide by international law, including the principle of “full respect for countries’ rights to manage their own borders.”

What started as a small group of under 200 just a few days ago, has grown considerably and it is estimated that the caravan comprises some 7,233 persons.

Advertisements
Share with your friends
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •