The Inspector General of Police, Ibrahim Idris, has ordered that all personnel of the Federal Special Anti-Robbery Squad must undergo immediate medical and psychological evaluation to ascertain their suitability for the job.
The IG said this on Tuesday as he announced the overhaul of the Special Anti-Robbery Squad.
This was sequel to the order earlier given on Tuesday by the Acting President, Yemi Osinbajo.
The following are other takeaways from the SARS overhaul, as stated by the Force Public Relations Officer, Force Headquarters, Abuja, Ag. DCP Jimoh Moshood, and made available via the verified Facebook wall of the NPF:
• New Commissioner of Police appointed as the overall head.
• Previously under the Force Criminal Intelligence and Investigations Department, SARS is henceforth to operate under the Department of Operations, Force Headquarters Abuja.
• New SARS now restricted to prevention/detection of armed robbery, kidnapping and the apprehension of offenders linked to stated offences only.
• New FSARS Commanders appointed for the Federal Anti-Robbery Squad across the country.
• A Federal SARS Commander of a Rank of Chief Superintendent of Police but not below Superintendent of Police will be in charge of FSARS in state and zonal Commands across the country.
• FSARS personnel will no longer perform stop-and-search duties.
• FSARS will get new uniform and new identity name tags.
• FSARS personnel to undergo rigorous training.
• Aggrieved members of public now have access to redress via designated complainst channels such as:
i. DIG, Department of Operations: 08037025670
ii. IGP X-SQUAD: 0902 690 0729, 08078662130, 08174041000 – CALLS
0903 227 8905 – SMS
0903 562 1377 – whatsApp
iii. IGP Monitoring Unit: firstname.lastname@example.org, 08036242591
iv. Commissioner of Police, FSARS: 08033476852
v. FORCE PUBLIC COMPLAINT BUREAU
Email: email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org
vi. Public Complaint rapid Response Unit (PCRRU)
08057000001 – Calls Only
08057000002 – Calls Only
08057000003 – SMS & whatsapp only
vii. email@example.com, 08027757359
viii. firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, 09051133035
x. firstname.lastname@example.org, 07037887630