Imo State is seeing yet another disaster today as fire razed a storey building in Umuoyo Irete in Owerri West Local Government.
An eye witness who spoke to www.otowngist.com said the fire started in the early afternoon of May 17, 2013 and was triggered by domestic cooking gas cylinder after the cooker was left longer than it was supposed to by a resident of the building.
A collective effort of youths of the community, men of Nigeria Police Force and Fire Service Command was able save few of the property, while majority worth millions of naira were destroyed in the fire.
The building which is said to be owned by Dame Nkem Opara, a director in Imo state ministry of Arts and Culture Owerri had its walls damaged as cracks were so conspicuous especially on the part the fire had started.
People are currently being asked to stay away from those areas to avoid casualties in case the building collapses.
This disaster is coming hours after a tree Ukwu Uko fell, killing scores of people in Umudagu Mbieri, Mbaitoli Local Government Area of Imo state.
No official statement t has been made by the family as at press time.
Fire service men entering the building